Renstrom Dental Studio, Inc was established in 1966 by Robert (Bob) Renstrom and his Father in Law, Albert Anderson. When Bob returned from the navy during WWII, he was trained to be a dental technician. Although he enjoyed the trade, he wasn't interested in running a business, so he asked Albert to take care of that aspect. Together, they opened Renstrom Dental Studio as a Crown & Bridge lab in Saint Paul MN, off of Front Street.
They continued to grow the lab together, until Albert suffered a stroke in 1970 and had to step away from the lab. Around that same time, they moved to a new location located off of Rice Street in Saint Paul.
In 1971 Randy started training as a technician in his father's lab.
In the 1970's-1980's, Monica (aka - Moni) Leas joined the lab as a Dental Technician. Moni was a cheerful young lady from Germany, who was extremely interested in the field of Dental Technology. She worked with the Renstrom's for many years, until she eventually opened her own Crown & Bridge lab in White Bear Lake MN, Crocus Dental Technologies.
Randy's younger brother Rick, started training as a technician around 1976. Moni mentored Rick in the Crown & Bridge Department when he started. During this time they were producing mostly Porcelain Fused to Metal, and Full Gold Restorations.
Due to the high amounts of gold running through the lab for these restorations, Bob was approached by a couple of Gold Salesmen in 1985. These salesmen were actually scamming the sale of gold across the country, and Bob helped the police to arrest the two men. The gold they were trying to sell Bob was for about half of face value, and that just didn't sit well with him so he called the police to let them know what was going on. The police asked for Bob's cooperation and set the salesmen up for the sale and then arrested them. The "gold bars" were actually brass, and these salesmen were targeting Dental Laboratories across the Midwest.
Bob, Randy, and Rick continued to work as technicians until 1987 when Randy and Rick bought the company together from their father. Bob then retired to Hackensack MN with his wife Joanne, where he spent his time with family, traveling, and woodworking. Robert C. Renstrom lived a busy life in "God's Country" until he passed in October of 2005.
Throughout the 1990's the lab continued to produce primarily Porcelain Fused to Metal, and Full Gold Restorations.
Renstrom Dental Studio moved from their Rice Street location, to the current location in Vadnais Heights, MN (4225 White Bear Pkwy, #1240, Vadnais Heights MN 55110)
Randi Renstrom, now Randi James, joined the lab making Renstrom a "3rd generation dental laboratory". Randi is Randy Renstrom's daughter, and Rick Renstrom's niece. Randy's wife, Kathy Renstrom, also works as the lab's Administrator, handling all the finances.
Monika Leas, founder and owner of Crocus Dental Technologies, was looking to retire. Crocus Dental was a Crown & Bridge lab located in White Bear Lake MN. She approached Rick & Randy, and in April of 2008 Crocus merged with Renstrom Dental Studio, Inc. She had worked for Renstrom through the 1970's and 80's, so it was a great opportunity to merge the two labs together, bringing the laboratory she created back to lab she started with.
Renstrom Dental Studio won a "Best of 2012" Award given by the city of Saint Paul, MN
In the winter of 2012, Randy found an old dental chair while looking through a barn in Aitkin, MN. It had been badly burned in an unknown fire. The back, headrest, arm, and footrest all needed to be reconstructed. Randy spent the rest of the winter and spring of 2013 reconstructing the chair. The seat and calf rest are the original wood. All of the cast iron was sandblasted and powder coated or plated. The detailed scrollwork was completed by Julie Heimerl (Employee of Renstrom Dental). Randy believes the chair was originally manufactured between 1870-1880; and sold by Noyes Brothers and Cutler, the largest pharmaceutical supply house in the Western United States at that time. He believes the chair was used as a dental chair, or possibly a general surgical chair. The completed project turned out great, and we are very fortunate to have such a unique piece of history to remind us how far the industry has come!
April 1st, 2013 Deanna Wilson joined Renstrom Dental Studio and started their first "Removable & Orthodontic Department". It was something Renstrom had been trying to accomplish for quite some time, but didn't have any experience with. A friend within the industry, Bob Irlbeck, referred Deanna to Renstrom, and it was a perfect match! Bob had mentored Deanna through her career in dental technology, and knew Renstrom was looking to get someone in to open the department. Renstrom is now a Full Service lab, and can help doctors through any treatment plan or difficult case.